Thursday, August 9, 2012

First Day of School Funnies and Freebies!

What a crazy, stressful first day!  I felt like I was running around all morning- everything seemed like a blur with 4 classes rotating before lunch and no break!  Although it was crazy, the day didn't pass without students making me giggle.  I think that is one of my favorite things about my job!  I never go a day without laughing!  My original plan for this blog when I first created it was to record all the funny things kids say.  I could write a book of the funny stuff I hear from day to day.  Problem is, it is not always funny unless you know the kid or the specific situation.  Of course, all summer I devoted myself to getting my classroom ready, but come day 1, I had new kids and new material to make people laugh.  I am teaching all 4th and 5th grade math this year, so I decided to give a math survey to get a feel for the ideas kids already held about math.  I learned a whole lot from these surveys, and it helped me get a head start on those kids that expressed they did not like or "hated" math.  I am fully devoted to finding ways to make those kids that hate math change their minds.  That being said, my last question on the inventory read, "Is there anything else I need to know about you and math?"
Although I am a little embarrassed of this question because the wording is kinda funky, I did get some interesting responses from it.
Here are a few responses from my high-achieving 5th grade class:

"I am one of the very best people in math."
"We don't really like each other."

... and my personal favorite:
"Yeah, I'd say we are a pretty good couple."

I love these kids already.  So witty and smart!!


- If you would like to see my math survey, I have posted it on Teachers Pay Teachers at the link below.  I also included a FREE Mathematics Parent Survey to send home for parents to fill out and return.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/4th-5th-Grade-Back-to-School-Mathematics-Interest-Survey

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Mathematics-Parent-Survey


If you already started school, I hope you had a wonderful first day, and if you haven't started yet, I hope it is awesome!  Bring on day 2!!!
*ms. charity*


2 comments:

Heather's Heart said...

Kiddos of all ages are so funny! I have given my kiddos a survey before and there is always so much insight. =)

I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. =)


Heather
Heather's Heart

Charity said...

Thanks for following, Heather! It is always exciting to get a new follower! I checked out your blog, and I love it! Thank you for sharing!! :)

Post a Comment